CO Leak Kills Two in Ozone Park

CO Leak Kills Two in Ozone Park

Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is the suspected cause of death for a father and son who died in their Ozone Park home sometime Saturday, Jan. 14.

Police found Kuo-Kung Chen, 66, and his son Aaron Chen, 29, unconscious and unresponsive inside their 90-08 101 Ave. home at 4:40 p.m., an NYPD spokesperson said.

Police were responding to a wellness check at the site when they found the two and alerted paramedics.

Officers from the 102nd Precinct said an outdoor generator likely malfunctioned and let the deadly gas into the home.

The spokesperson said there was no criminality suspected, but an investigation would continue and a medical examiner would determine the exact cause of death.

Two days after the deaths, the FDNY released a statement referencing the incident.

“After a fatal fire and two carbon monoxide incidents with fatalities and serious injuries in three days, the FDNY strongly urges all New Yorkers to have working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in their homes,” It said. “On Sat., Jan. 14, at 90-08 101 Ave., Queens, a CO incident took the lives of a 66-year-old and a 29-year-old male. No working CO detectors were present in the home.”

There was also a small dog in the residence who survived the incident unharmed.

By Jeremiah Dobruck

Forum Newsgroup photo by Luis Gronda


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>