Photo Courtesy of Google
Sen. Addabbo’s Howard Beach district office is located at 159-53 102nd St.
By Forum Staff
It’s that dreaded time of year: tax season.
So State Sen. Joe Addabbo, Jr. (D-Howard Beach) is inviting constituents to his district office in Howard Beach next week for a free tax prep service in conjunction with the City Department of Consumer Affairs and RGC Volunteer Income Tax Assistance.
On Wednesday, March 14, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Addabbo will host U.S. Internal Revenue Service-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance/Tax Counseling for the Elderly preparers at his Howard Beach district office at 159-53 102nd St.
Addabbo indicated that in order to qualify for the service you just earn $54,000/year or less.
If you plan on filing your taxes at the event, you must bring:
• Government-issued photo ID (includes IDNYC);
• Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and birth dates for you, your spouse, and any dependents;
• Proof of income forms, including W-2, 1098, 1099 and others, or income and expense records if you are self-employed;
• 2016 tax return (if available);
• Proof of health insurance coverage (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C), or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate (if available) for you, your spouse, and any dependents;
• Payment records for child care, including the provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number;
• Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions;
• Account and routing numbers for direct deposit of your refund; and
• If you’re filing a joint return, both spouses must be present on March 14
Addabbo called the free, one-day, pop-up service “a fantastic opportunity for seniors who may need some help filing their taxes, those with complicated tax returns due to a number of life circumstances, or even those who are just getting started in the job force and never had to file taxes before. The experts on-hand will make sure you get the maximum return you are owed.”
To be seen by a volunteer preparer, appointments are necessary. To schedule an appointment, call Addabbo’s Howard Beach office at (718) 738-1111. Walk-ins will be seen as time permits, the senator said.