Jamaica Mom Charged in Son’s Death after Failing to Properly Administer Seizure Meds

By Forum Staff
A Queens mother has been charged with assault and manslaughter after failing to properly administer seizure medication to her five-year-old son.
The assault charge arose because she didn’t administer the correct dose thereby exacerbating the seizures. Manslaughter charges were dueto failing to ensure proper administration of the drugs and ultimately led to his death from an overdose in January 2017.
“The victim in this case was a little boy with an ailment that could be controlled if the medication he required was administered correctly and consistently. The defendant in this case – the boy’s mother – after repeated instructions from the doctor failed to follow those simple instructions. Autopsy results show that the youngster died of a fatal overdose of one of his medications. The defendant now faces the possibility of a long term of incarceration.”
Phyllis Reinoso, 31, fled New York and was apprehended 6 months later in Alabama. Reinoso waived extradition and was returned to New York City. She was arraigned before Queens Criminal Court Judge Scott Dunn on a complaint charging her with first-degree assault,second-degreemanslaughter, first-degree reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. Bail was set at $1million and was ordered to return to court on August 17.
Five-year-old Michael Guzman was diagnosed with focal epilepsy in 2012. Reinoso was instructed on multiple occasions that Michael needed two daily doses of two different drugs – administered once in the morning and once in the evening.
Reinoso was warned that failure to be consistent with the child’s medicine could result in frequent seizures and create a grave risk of death.
According to the complaint, the assault charge stems from an incident that began on September 7, 2016, at approximately 11:05 p.m., the defendant called the boy’s doctor to inform her that the child was having an increased number of seizures. The doctor told the defendant that Michael needed to be admitted to the hospital “first thing” the next day. Instead, she did not take the child to the hospital until the afternoon of September 9.
After being admitted to the hospital, Michael’s examination showed he was having uncontrollable and multiple seizures because he had not been given regular doses of one of his medications. To stop the seizures he was given a high dose of an anti-seizure medication that saved his life. Reinoso claimed she had only missed giving him a single dose. The child had to be hospitalized for eight days.
The manslaughter charge relates to the mother’s lack of oversight in ensuring the proper administration of Michael’s medication after he died on January 22, 2017.
If convicted, Reinoso faces up to 25 years in prison.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>