Jamaica Man Sentenced to up to Life  in Prison for Slaying Ex-Girlfriend

Jamaica Man Sentenced to up to Life in Prison for Slaying Ex-Girlfriend

Photo Courtesy of Google

Corley’s body was found inside of her parked car in the vicinity of 122nd Avenue and Lakeview Lane.

By Forum Staff
A Jamaica man has been sentenced to up to life in prison for the stabbing death of his ex-girlfriend, whose bloodied body was discovered inside of her car days after she had been reported missing in October 2016, Chief Assistant District Attorney John Ryan, on behalf of Queens DA Richard Brown, recently announced.
Qwantrell Gilliam, 43, was convicted last month of second-degree murder, tampering with physical evidence and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon. Last Wednesday, Gilliam was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison on the murder charge; one and one-third to four years on the tampering with physical evidence charge; and one year on the criminal possession of a weapon charge, all to run concurrent, Ryan noted.
According to trial testimony, at approximately 2:20 p.m. on Oct. 31, 2016, detectives from the 113th Precinct—acting on a missing person’s report—discovered the body of Dayo Corley, 43, inside of her parked car in the vicinity of 122nd Avenue and Lakeview Lane. Corley’s last minutes of life included being stabbed multiple times and having her neck compressed and punctured. Blood was splattered on the floor of the vehicle as well as in the driver’s seat, where Corley’s body was discovered. The victim’s cause of death was homicidal violence, including stab wounds to the neck.
According to trial records, Corley was last seen shortly before 1:45 a.m. on Oct. 29. She had just left a hair salon on Merrick Boulevard. Phone records showed her traveling to the vicinity of Lakeview Lane and 122nd Avenue after speaking to Gilliam. Surveillance cameras captured Gilliam walking near 122nd Avenue, where the victim’s car was recovered. Gilliam is seen walking towards Lakeview Lane, shortly after 1:50 a.m. At approximately 2:30 a.m., Gilliam is seen again on surveillance video in possession of a knife, opening a bottle and then pouring liquid over his hands and finally walking towards a nearby metal trash can, where he disposed of the murder weapon.
Furthermore, said Chief ADA Ryan, according to several witnesses who testified in court, Gilliam had been harassing Corley after their June 2016 break up with calls to her cell phone, and he’d even been accused of destroying property that belonged to her just weeks before he killed her.
“This was a tragic end for a woman who was victimized by someone who at one time professed to love her,” Ryan added. “The jury listened to the evidence and rendered a verdict of guilt. The defendant will now spend the rest of his life locked away to punish him for this heinous act and to protect others.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>