The U.S. State Department offered up to $50 million for information on locating Osama Bin Laden—a reward that will likely never be paid. If the reward money won’t go to one or more individuals involved in locating bin Laden, New York Congressmen Anthony Weiner and Jerry Nadler want the money given to 9/11 first responders, families and survivors.
On Monday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney announced no one would receive the federal payout.
“As far as I’m aware, no one knowledgably said, ‘Oh, Osama bin Laden’s over here in Abbottabad at 5703, you know, Green Avenue,” Carney told reporters, according to CBS News.
In 2001, a $25 million bounty was announced for Osama bin Laden. Congress later passed legislation to double the reward.
“If the bounty isn’t paid, Osama bin Laden’s victims should get it,” Weiner (D-Kew Gardens) said. “I can think of no better recipient than those organizations which have committed themselves to helping first responders, their families and survivors whose lives have been forever affected by bin Laden’s actions.”
Anticipating the payout would not be distributed and prior to Carney’s announcement, on Sunday, Weiner and Nadler announced they would sponsor legislation to ensure the money funds organizations that assist 9/11 victims.
“Because there is likely no awardee for the $50 million bounty for Osama bin Laden’s capture, those funds should now be used in support of the thousands of 9/11 families, responders and survivors,” Nadler (D-Manhattan) said. “I urge the State Department to distribute the reward money to established organizations and institutions which provide services and programs to the 9/11 community.”
There is one man claiming he should receive some of the reward money. Gary Brooks Faulkner, who was detained in Pakistan last year when he was found on an unauthorized solo mission to hunt bin Laden, has told various media outlets that he was responsible for driving bin Laden out of his cave and into his Pakistani compound.